Since the number of CIAO Science Threads is always increasing, there is a great demand for a roadmap on how to apply them to the data. The Analysis Guides presented here were written for that purpose.
Each guide takes a certain instrument configuration (ACIS, for example) or type of analysis (e.g., extended sources) and lists the relevant threads. Along with the listing is a brief explanation of the purpose of each task. The goal is to help the user complete the analysis without requiring that every thread be read.
Before beginnning a new analysis, review the Data Caveats.
Quick Start guide
Threads to help you with common analysis tasks for Chandra data.
- ACIS Data Preparation
- ACIS Sub-Pixel Event Resolution
- Pileup Analysis - Detailed Overview (PDF, 26 pages)
- Using srcflux for acis_extract users.
High Resolution Spectroscopy
- HETG/ACIS-S Observations
- LETG/ACIS-S Observations
- LETG/HRC-S Observations
- High Resolution Spectroscopy - Detailed Overview
- Chandra Grating Data Archive and Catalog (TGCat): a browsable interface to analysis-quality spectral products.
- Calculating fluxes with Sherpa
- Extended Sources
- PSF Central
- Overview: Detecting Sources in Imaging Observations
- Overview: Reprojecting Files
- Combining observations
- DAX: The CIAO Analysis Menu in DS9
- Video Demos and Tutorials